The concept of “Mega- Projects” is introduced as a vehicle for the development of large- scale technological development cooperation between Research and Industry on selected topics and themes. “Mega-Projects” are suitable when equally strong Industry Dynamics and Research Readiness exist at a regional level.
To select the preferred scientific technological and industry topics and themes (“Mega- Projects”) for development and expansion in the framework of Thess-INTEC, we studied the regional Industry Dynamics and general innovation conductive environment, coupled with regional R&D Excellence and activity.
The key evaluation criteria we used for the pre- selection of industrial and technology Focus Areas were the following:
• Excellent RTD performance, competitive at an international level;
• High quality and volume scientific production;
• Dynamic industrial activity and extroversion;
• Significant technology transfer results (spin- offs, patents, etc.);
• Relevance to global Mega- Trends pushing research and innovation.
Based on the above analysis, we selected the following 6 industrial and technology Focus Areas: